The IAFF is a 310,000 member trade union protecting and advancing the interests of career firefighters and fire-based paramedics in the United States and Canada. With over 3,300 local affiliates, the IAFF represents over 85% of professional firefighters and fire-based paramedics. There are approximately 70 IAFF locals in New Jersey, of which nearly all are members of the PFANJ.
What are the goals of the IAFF?
- To better our profession, promote a safer working environment, create reasonable working conditions and secure just compensation.
Why was the IAFF formed?
- To address the working conditions of firefighters in the early 20th century – 100 years later our IAFF is more than a union!
- The IAFF addresses major issues including safety and health, research, wages, benefits, worker rights, working conditions, training, public relations, and political action.
- THE IAFF TAKES CARE OF ITS MEMBERS WHEN THEY NEED IT MOST!!!
The IAFF is responsible for most of the improvements in the fire service, including pay, benefits, safety, working conditions and service delivery:
- NFPA 1500 – Occupational Safety and Health Standards
- NFPA 1710 – Staffing, Operations and Response
- NIOSH Line of Duty Death Investigations
- PSOB - $300k Death and Education Benefit for Spouses and Families
- Health, Wellness and Fitness Programs (Center of Excellence)
- Improved Turnout Gear
- FLSA Protections (overtime)
- Reductions in Work Hours
- Earlier Retirement Benefits
- SAFER/FIRE Act Grants
- Cancer Registry
Our IAFF local affiliates work at the municipal level to secure:
- Fair, market-base compensation
- Quality benefits
- Secure and dignified retirement
- Safe staffing and equipment
- Equitable working conditions, including:
- Fair promotional opportunities
- Due process in circleiplinary matters
The PFANJ represents in excess of 3,000 of New Jersey’s approximately 6,000 professional firefighters. In addition, the PFANJ represents over 500 EMS members. PFANJ members enjoy the benefits of having access to state and national resources while maintaining local autonomy in their day-to-day operations.
As of member of the PFANJ, you are represented on every committee and council that has an impact on your career, ensuring that YOUR voice is heard on YOUR issues:
- The Civil Service Fire Advisory Board
- The NJ Fire Safety Commission
- The Firefighter Safety & Health Advisory Council
- The Public Employee Occupational Safety and Health (PEOSH) board
- Arbitration Task Force
- State Investment Council (SIC)
- Pension committee
- Police and Firefighters Retirement System (PFRS)
The PFANJ has a network of solid relationships and works regularly with:
- New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
- The Public Employee Relations Committee (PERC)
- State representatives that continue to support local affiliate initiatives to provide the service that we deserve.
- New Jersey State AFL-CIO Public Employees Committee
- New Jersey State AFL-CIO Executive Board
The PFANJ works with all 14 members of the New Jersey Congressional Delegation to ensure your voice is heard on the national level. The IAFF serves as your voice when decisions on pay, benefits, staffing, working conditions and safety are being made. FIREPAC, the IAFF political action committee is rated in the top 1% of the most influential PACs nationally. FIREPAC is bi-partisan and supports pro-firefighter candidates regardless of party.
The PFANJ is a member of the IAFF Federation of State & Provincial Fire Fighters and can call on other state associations to:
- Get members of Congress from other states to support the issues they are fighting for (SAFER, Zadroga).
- Receive warning from other states on bad legislation being pushed that could possibly make its way to New Jersey.
- Call in experts from other states to repel attacks on the benefits we have earned
PROTECTING YOUR RIGHTS
Joining a union is a Constitutional Right protected by the First Amendment Right of Association. You have other workplace rights. The IAFF/PFANJ protects those rights.
- IAFF Legal Department - Legal team at IAFF Headquarters, reinforcing the work being done by PFANJ attorneys.
- Guardian Policy - The IAFF staunchly defends its leaders when they are punished or retaliated against while fulfilling the duties of leading their union.
- Emergency Dispute Funds (EDF) - Grants and 0% interest loans available to locals to fight back against attacks on the local.
SERVICES PROVIDED TO LOCAL AFFILIATES AND
DEPARTMENTS BY THE IAFF & PFANJ
- IAFF Geographic Information System (GIS)
- PTSD & Behavioral Wellness
- PFANJ Peer Counseling
- IAFF Center of Excellence
- Cancer Awareness
- IAFF E-18 Media
- Live feed capabilities to beam back to your local news affiliates if you need an expert interview.
- Video production for your elected candidates.
- Development of radio spots and online ads.
- Edit the videos you shoot.
- Can buy media for your campaign - saving you thousands in commission costs.
- PFANJ Emergency Relief Fund (ERF)
- GIS & Weather Support
- Communications Support
- IAFF Disaster Relief Fund
- Mental Health / CISM
- Support of local relief centers
- IAFF Owned and operated financial institution with over $6.7 billion in assets.
- Provides members with access to deals on mortgages, personal loans, retirement funding, as well as home, auto and life insurance.
- The Frontline 457 plan serves as an alternative to your employer’s plan for you to invest for your retirement.